MSG 2016

A place to discuss up coming Race meets and training regimes. Click to view the Calendar

MSG 2016

Postby rshall » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Just received my pack for the first race of the series at Hintlesham near Ipswich. Only doing a some of the rounds as birthdays get in the way and rocks scare me :silent: . Anybody else considering/entering any of it?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog
rshall

Postby Muttley00 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi Rich, signed up for Sunday as well. Hopefully I'll see you there. I'm in for all of the rounds that I can make.
Muttley00
Committee member

Re: MSG 2016

Postby Moe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Been feeling the urge to have a little spin myself but I'll be back in the homeland this weekend so may have to be later in the year. good luck anyhow to all racers. :goodidea:
Mi cuerpo es viejo pero mi espíritu es joven.
Moe
ex-Chairman

Postby rshall » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Facebook posts from G indicate weather will have a major impact on the race, lap has been shortened and could be a mudfest - tempted to try single speed :crazy: :blink :puke: if it goes ahead!
rshall

Postby Westerburg High » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Yep have entered series although can't make one. Tomorrow is on but sounds like another "ickworth" experience. Didn't you and Jon go home after practice lap!!?

John
Westerburg High

Postby rshall » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Well that was er, interesting! Looked at the conditions and decided to run singlespeed, as did Jon. If the course was dry it would have been really good, but it wasn't. Start was uphill but not too claggy, then first down section was sketchy, point bike in direction you want to go and hope! 90 degree bend into woods where most of the lap was. A sticky undulating section followed then a short hill were grip just disappeared, this was walked up, more undulations, a little rollable drop, wide track climb that wasn't too bad. More of the sticky stuff that was just about ridable, a short dry :!: hill then a slippery yet sticky section into another hill, which I walked up

A and B lines next, took the B as I'm a coward ;-) into a very muddy lumpy section onto a wide track. A little further round was a bridge which I saw a few people slide close to the edge but not off it. After the bridge was more mud which very few people rode. The route carried on next to a stream with varying depths and stickyness of mud until exiting the woods for a slog up towards the start. This was hard to walk up let alone ride, when it level out it was only for a short distance with two 90 degree bends then walking up another muddy hill back to the start.

After one lap most bikes were looking like plus sized or fat bikes with riders using whatever they could find to remove the mud that accumulated. The course did start to dry out and in parts a racing line appeared, but there still were sections that walking (or running for the fitter riders) was quicker. In the end I somehow completed 4 laps in 1 hour 47mins, finishing 41st out of 48 in my class. Don't know how far as my computer died halfway round :cry:

I am now knackered
rshall

Postby peterh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 am

Well done to everyone who rode it. Sounds like an epic :)
peterh
Treasurer

Postby Berm Bandit » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Oh it was that......

Picture of the day here.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomoldbloke/25585992895/in/album-72157664999529570/ The inexorable attraction between hard and soft objects
Democracy falls down at the point where you have to persuade stupid people to vote for you......
Berm Bandit
Vice President

Postby Moe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 pm

That can't have ended well?! :???:
Moe
ex-Chairman

Postby peterh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:20 pm

The next couple of images show him nutting the tree but then walking away apparently uninjured ;)
peterh
Treasurer

Postby Berm Bandit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:49 am

He actually got back on rode about 20 metres and conked out. Mild concussion I think. I picked him up on the quad shortly after, after a check over by the medics he was found to be fine.

Lucky though..... best advice kids, don't go headbutting trees they are well hard!
Democracy falls down at the point where you have to persuade stupid people to vote for you......
Berm Bandit
Vice President

Postby Moe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:14 am

I bet the quad ride shocked him back to full awareness!
Moe
ex-Chairman

Postby Berm Bandit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Ithink it may have been when I told him to snuggle up tight and to hold onto to me....the 1000 yard stare seemed to just evaporate and be replaced with abject terror :sos:
Berm Bandit
Vice President

Postby rshall » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Seconds out, Round 2.

A little dryer than last month, but the weather gods aren't being kind! Again, if dry, really good course with some good technical (read bloody scary for me!) sections. Would be able to give a better description of the lap if I didn't have my mech hanger snap in the first section of the first lap :sad: . I did get some photo's though (Sorry they're a bit small):

Nice little climb!

Bottom of the 'A' line;

'A' line with no riders; (two drop-offs and a wooden berm)

And with riders,

Did see this random bloke charging round!

Twice in fact!
rshall

Return to Racing Etc...